My girls loved it and it didn’t even bother them that there were beets inside, at all… We are planning to make another batch this weekend again, on their request.
- 250 g unsalted butter (melted)
- 300 g dark chocolate (broken into pieces)
- 250 g cooked beetroot (drained, grated)
- 1¼ cup golden caster sugar
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup unsweetened dessicated coconut
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 – 4 eggs (egg whites separated)
- 1 large baking tray or 2 smaller (I used two Pyrex dishes but there are special, perfectly rectangular brownie trays), at least 3 cm high
- stand mixer
- baking paper
- double boiler (small pot for water and metal bowl / curry dish over it)
- wooden skewer to test if brownies are ready
- silicone pastry brush
- aluminium foil
- Preheat oven to 180°C (356°F).
- Melt the butter either in a small saucepan or in microwave.
- Using a bit of melted butter and silicone brush grease baking tins and line them with baking paper, grease some more.
- In a double boiler melt chocolate, let it cool down a little bit.
- Whisk the egg whites.
- In a mixer bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, egg yolks, half of the coconut and egg whites.
- Gradually add also cooled down a bit butter and chocolate and turn on the mixer.
- In the last moment fold in also beets and mix a bit longer.
- Pour the batter into baking tin(s).
- Sprinkle with the rest of coconut.
- Bake for about 25 – 30 minutes or until skewer comes out almost clean.
- Half way you may need to cover the trays with aluminium foil to prevent coconut topping to burn.
- Let it cool down completely before cutting into squares.
Makes about 23 – 25 small portions.
If you liked this recipe, you may also like Moist Beetroot Blondies with Almond Flakes aka White Chocolate Brownies we made recently.
Couple recipe suggestions on how to use leftover cooked beetroot: Pink Beetroot & Green Avocado Picnic Dips, Beetroot Salad with Rocket Leaves, Toasted Pumpkin Seeds and Feta Cheese, Beetroot Smoothie, Buraczki / Beets – Polish Way or different beetroot brownies I made a while ago: Decadent Red Velvet Brownies with Walnuts.
If you are looking for more interesting (not beetroot) brownie recipe ideas, check out: Specunana Chocolate Brownies from Fab Food 4 All, Slow Cooker Cream Cheese Brownies from Baking Queen 74, Tahini Brownies from Rough Measures, The Yummiest Brownie Ever from Of Cloves & Capers, Marmite Caramel Brownies from Tin & Thyme, Caramel Kiss Brownies from Foodie Quine, Ooey Gooey Gluten Free Brownies from Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary, Oreo Brownies from Little Sunny Kitchen, Triple Chocolate Pretzel Brownies from Munchies and Munchkins or Gooey Chocolate Brownies from Coriander Queen.
I’m submitting this recipe to Helen’s from Fuss Free Flavours and Michelle’s from Utterly Scrummy #ExtraVeg challenge hosted this month by Kate from Veggie Desserts.
I’ve never tried anything like these before! They sound so lovely!
These look so fudgy and delicious – just how I like my brownies! Love the coconut addition! Thank you for linking up! :)
Mmmmm, chocolate and coconut! Surely there can me no finer combination of flavours? Love how the coconut toasts a bit as it bakes – would love the textural contrast with the gooey brownies!
I have never tried beetroot in baking, reading your post has encouraged me to add it to my shopping list. I love the hidden veg in the brownies.
Oh these sound a bit good! I love coconut on chocolate cakes so this sounds perfect. Thanks to linking to my pretzel brownies. X
I keep meaning to make beetroot brownies, have only ever eaten them so far – love the look of yours with coconut on
Margot – these are JUST my sorta brownies! They look great! Thanks for linking up to #ExtraVeg!
I never tried baking brownies with beets, but I’ve done muffins with beets and they were very very delicious! I love the idea and will have to try it! And thank you for linking to my recipe :)
These look fabulous, I really have to try them:-) Thanks for linking to my Specunana Brownies:-)
I have never ever made beetroot brownies but the have been on my list forever. Pinning for later.
Beetroot brownies are best of both worlds! It is naughty and healthy food at the same time ;)
Looks great :)
These sound fabulous Margot. I want to make them soon. Would you able to tell me the dimensions of the pan(s) you used? I would likely be able to figure it out after mixing up the batter, but just wishing to be prepared. I have made a beetroot cake in the past and really enjoyed it, so I know I would love these too. Thanks very much.
Thank you for such a nice comments.
Lisa – I have used two baking dishes: one smaller and one large but I could easily fit the whole thing in one big tray and make them a bit thicker. There is link in the recipe to the exact Pyrex tray I used that is 40 x 27 cm.
Thanks very much Margot. I missed the link, but I was pretty sure I knew what you meant when you said a large pan. Thanks for the clarification. I think I might make them today with a few slight revisions. Mind you, it is hot hot hot here today but I roasted my beets last night, so they are mostly ready to go. These days I usually make raw treats, but these sound wonderful, so despite the heat, it’s a go later on methinks.
I love the addition of the coconut to the classic chocolate and beetroot combination. Thanks for linking up to #ExtraVeg