I’m a bit late posting Halloween cupcakes that we have made but those would be also perfect for any other kids’ parties. Simply replace green colouring with different colours and make them as paint splodge cupcakes!
The cake batter recipe is based on our favourite Chocolate & Orange Zebra Cake aka Tiger Cake.
for the cake batter
- 3 cups plain flour (sifted)
- 1 bar (250 g) unsalted butter (melted)
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup orange juice + a bit more just in case (freshly squeezed would be the best but store bought juice will work as well)
- 3 cups golden caster sugar
- 10 eggs (egg whites separated)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp orange extract
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 10 tbs cocoa powder
for the topping
- about 250 g box of icing sugar
- few drops of vanilla extract
- few tbs of boiled water
- food colouring
- 36 pairs of sugar eyes or other round sugar decorations as eyes
- tree 12 – muffin trays lined with paper cupcake cases (if you don’t have 3 trays you can also bake the cupcakes in batches)
- wooden skewer
- sieve to sift the flour
- large mixing bowl
- two medium mixing bowls
- small mixing bowl for the icing
- piping bag
- Preheat oven to 180°C (356°F).
- Line muffin trays with paper cases.
- In one of the medium bowls beat the egg whites until stiff and leave aside.
- In a bigger bowl place dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, sugar, and cocoa powder.
- In another medium mixing bowl mix butter, oil, egg yolks, juice, vanilla extract, and orange extract.
- Add them gradually to the bowl with dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Add also previously whisked egg whites.
- Share the batter into the cupcake cases, making sure not to overfill them, a bit more than half a case will be enough.
- Bake for about 20 minutes. Check with the skewer if the middle of the cake is ready.
- Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack.
- Once all cupcakes are baked and ready for topping, mix icing sugar in a small mixing bowl with vanilla extract, gradually add also water and food colouring until the icing have smooth but not too watery consistency.
- Transfer icing to the piping bag and top each cupcake with a bit of icing sticking the eyes at the same time.
Makes about 36 cupcakes.
Stick the eyes as soon as you top the cupcake with icing, it dries out fast and won’t stick if you wait too long.
For more chocolate and orange flavoured recipes take a look at our Chocolate & Orange Yule Log with Fondant Holly or Death by Chocolate – Seriously Chocolatey Orange & Vanilla Cake.