- old newspapers
- craft glue
- skewer or some other round & quite thin stick
- craft paint – optional
- transparent vanish
1. First cut open newspaper half way across.
2. Then roll each piece on the stick and glue the end, creating the tubes. Remove the stick and set aside.
3. Flatten each paper tube paper and then roll it to create circles like this, use glue to secure the ends. (Roll more than one tube, one after another, securing ends each time, to create bigger circle.)
4. Arrange circles and long pieces of the tube, stick them together to create the coaster.
5. Once it is big enough paint all over with diluted glue, leave to dry.
6. Optionally paint with craft paints, I left my coaster in natural (newspaper) colour.
7. Once completely dry cover it with transparent vanish on one side, let it dry and then on the other side. Finished coaster photo is on the top of this post.
I made this coaster during recycled art classes I attend, thank you Silvia for great ideas!
To make square shapes surrounding circles best roll long pieces of paper first on some square object.
Please, forgive me quality some of the images, they have been taken with my phone as I forgot the camera to the class.
More upcycling / recycling ideas:
DIY Play Stove (from old newspapers, bottle tops & fiber board)
Piggy Bank (from old plastic bottle)
Crochet Covers for Old Mammut Stools (Ikea Hack)
Girl’s Room Workspace (made from upcycled cot bed)
Miniature Garden in a Fish Bowl (unused fish bowl turned into miniature moss garden)
Reading Corner (made from spare bedside table – Ikea Hack)
Upcycled Magazine Decoupage (cardboard boxes decorated with old magazines)
Recycled T-Shirt Rug (crochet rug made out of old shirts)