[recipe adapted from my friend Nora at Life’s Smörgåsbord]
- 1 kg sweet orange potatoes (peeled, chopped, cooked in water and drained)
- 500 g / 2 cups dry chick peas / chickpeas / garbanzo beans (cooked for about 2 hours and drained)
- 2 – 3 onions / 500 g (chopped finely)
- few garlic cloves (crushed or chopped finely)
- olive oil
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh / frozen coriander
- 1 tsp ground coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tbs paprika
- ½ – 1 pinch Cayenne pepper
- 6 or more tbs plain flour
- olive oil spray or olive oil plus silicon brush
- salt to taste
- 2 packets of Sazón (original flavour) – optional
- sweet chilli sauce or tahini yogurt sauce (to serve)
- Telfon sheets
- baking trays
- Mash cooked previously sweet potato and chick peas. For the second one you may need to use food processor.
- Fry onions and garlic for a while in a little bit of olive oil.
- Combine potato, chick peas, coriander and onion mixture in a large bowl.
- Add spices, Sazón, salt to taste and at the end enough flour to stick all mixture together.
- Scoop out with even portions of the mixture, shape in your hands and place on baking trays lined with Teflon non stick sheets.
- Spray with olive oil spray or brush with olive oil.
- Bake in preheated oven to 180°C (356°F) for about 30 minutes, turning once half way, and spraying the other side of patties as well.
- Serve with sweet chilli sauce or tahini yogurt sauce.
Makes 25 patties / 60 ml each.
If you are looking for more chick pea recipes take a look at Moroccan Style Hummus with Caramelized Onions and Roasted Peppers, Roasted Veggetables with Tortellini and Chick Peas or Homemade Smoked Paprika Hummus.
More recipes calling for sweet potatoes: Mexican Style Roasted Sweet Potato & Mixed Bean Wraps, Kids’ Favourites – Simple Roasted Sweet Potatoes or Boiled Sweet Potatoes.