- 3 cups / 500 g dry pearl barley
- 9 cups boiling water
- 4 vegetable cubes (10 g each)
- ½ lime juice
- 4 tbs ready minced ginger & garlic (or about 2 tbs each)
- 1 – 2 sweet red pointed peppers or red bell peppers (diced)
- ½ bunch of coriander, handful (chopped)
- 3 tbs crème fraîche or use extra virgin olive oil for even healthier option
- sea salt – to taste
- In a large pot place barley, water and cubes, bring to boil.
- Reduce fire and cook covered for about 40-50 minutes, until almost all water is gone.
- Turn of the fire, leave covered for another 10 minutes.
- Separate barley with a fork, stir in cream or oil, lime juice, ginger & garlic mince.
- Wait until the barley is not too hot before adding coriander and peppers, otherwise they will get wilted.
- Season to taste with salt if necessary and enjoy either while still warm, at a room temperature or cold.
Serves 6 people as a part of meal or more as a salad.
If you are looking for more barley salads, then try Pearl Barley Spinach Salad with Garlic and Chilli Flakes I made a while ago.
For other recipes calling for barley take a look at this Krupnik – Polish Pearl Barley Soup, Tomato & Mushroom Pearl Barley Stew or Barley Stew with Smoked Garlic, Mushrooms & Lemon Thyme.