- 2½ cups strong white bread flour
- 4 cups strong brown bread flour
- 5 tsp fast action dried yeast (14g)
- 1½ tsp – 3 tsp sea salt (if you use unsalted butter on your bread put 3 tsp but if you use salted butter put only 1½ tsp salt)
- ⅔ cup milk (about 180 ml) in room temperature
- 1 – 1½ cup lukewarm water
- 100 ml olive oil (about 7 tbs)
- poppy seeds to sprinkle
- 1 eggs (lightly beaten with 1 tbs water)
- two baking trays
- pastry brush
- 7 cm (2.5 inches) wide cookie cutter
- In a large mixing bowl mix flour, yeast and salt, add milk, 1 cup of water and olive oil.
- Knead dough with your hands for about 10 minutes adding some more water if dough is too hard.
- Flatten the dough to about 1.5 – 2 cm high and cut out circles with the cookie cutter.
- Arrange them on baking trays far away enough so when they double the size they won’t be touching each other.
- Cover with tea towel and leave in a warm, quiet place to grow for 1 hour.
- Beat egg with 1 tbs of water and spread with the pastry brush over the bread.
- Sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (356°F) and bake bread for about 30 minutes.
Makes 22 small bread rolls.
More quick & easy bread roll recipes:
South African grilled Roosterkoek by Jeanne of Cook Sister