[recipe adapted from Running with Tweezers]
- 1½ kg frozen green peas
- 2 litre of water
- 4 – 5 vegetable cubes (10 g each)
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 2 – 3 tbs balsamic vinegar
- rainbow peppercorns
- grated Parmesan cheese to sprinkle over the soup
- fresh bread (sliced)
- hand blender or food processor
- In a large pot combine water, peas, cubes and cook covered till peas are soft, for about 30 minutes (depends from the peas, have to get very soft).
- Add olive oil, remove from fire and blend the soup till smooth.
- Stir in balsamic vinegar.
- Transfer to the plates, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and season with freshly ground pepper.
- Serve with slices of fresh bread on a side. Can be also served with hard boiled eggs.
Serves 5 – 6 people.
If you are making soup for small kids skip balsamic vinegar. I did put aside portion for my 2 year old daughter before stirring in balsamic vinegar. She really enjoyed this soup.
This soup taste great also with mashed potatoes on a side or with those little filo and feta pastries.
On the first photo I cheated a bit and used balsamic cream (which is too sweet to my liking for this recipe) instead of balsamic vinegar to make this nice swirl.
More interesting soup recipes: Michelle of Greedy Gourmet made this yummy artichoke soup that can be also topped with Parmesan cheese.