- 1½ kg apples before coring (cubed)
- 3 tbs lemon juice
- golden caster sugar to taste (about 2 tbs) – optional
- olive oil spray for baking tin
for the crumble
- ¾ plain flour
- 75 g unsalted butter (for the lower in calories version replace half of the butter with about 1 tbs natural yogurt)
- ½ cup soft dark brown sugar
- ½ cup oats
- flat medium cake tin (I used round one that was about 22 cm wide and 3 cm deep), oven proof dish or 6 separate ramekin dishes
- Preheat oven to 180°C (356°F).
- Peel, core and cube apples, place them on frying pan together with lemon juice and simmer for 3-5 minutes till apples are soften.
- Remove from fire, stir in sugar if needed.
- Spray tin with olive oil spray and spread apples on the bottom of the tin.
- Prepare crumble, mix all ingredients together with your fingers, till mixture start looking like crumble.
- Sprinkle over the apples, place in the oven and bake for about 25 – 30 minutes till golden brown and bubbling.
- Serve warm or cooled down.
Serves 6 people.
If using yogurt you will rather spread than sprinkle crumble mixture over the apples, because it will be a little bit soggy, but it will dry out during baking.
More British recipes.