This is very lazy yet tasty (and tangy) summery recipe with fresh rhubarb, ready puff pastry and vanilla custard.
- 500 g ready chilled puff pastry
- about 400 g fresh rhubarb (washed, peeled and cubed)
- 2 cups of thick vanilla custard
- sugar to sprinkle, best demerara
- large pie baking dish or Pyrex would be the best
- non-stick frying pan
- rolling pin
- First prepare the rhubarb frying it on non stick frying pan for a while to reduce the water.
- Once rhubarb is ready roll out puff pastry and line large baking dish with it.
- Top with custard, then rhubarb.
- Sprinkle generously with sugar.
- Bake in the oven preheated to 200°C (392°F) for about 20 minutes or until golden.
- Share to the bowls and enjoy while still warm.
Makes 6-8 portions.
Sharing the pie was a bit tricky because of the hot custard so next time I will try to make it in couple smaller pie dishes instead of one big one.
More rhubarb recipe ideas:
Rhubarb and Saffron Yogurt Cake from Elisabeth’s Kitchen Dairy
Rhubarb & Ginger Cake from Fab Food 4 All
Rhubarb Custard Sandwich Cake from Jo’s Kitchen
Wholemeal Rhubarb & Ginger Muffins from Blue Kitchen Bakes
A Spiced Strawberry & Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake from Cooksister
Ooh I feel hungry now, love rhubarb and custard so to put them in a pie base is genius! Thank you also for teaching me that you can fry rhubarb which I never knew!
I don’t know if you should but I do that with most of the fruits for pies, to reduce the water a bit ;)
I didn’t know you could fry rhubarb to reduce it either! Clever – and a lovely sounding pie! Thanks for sharing my own rhubarb cake recipe too :)
Ohhhh I love rhubarb!!! I had it in crumbles with custard and this was a winning combination. What a great idea to combine these two in a pie… This looks so nice.
Quick and delicious pudding, a great way to use up our glut of rhubarb :)
A lovely looking pie, I’ve never thought of frying rhubarb before baking with it but it makes perfect sense now!