This recipe is based on Vanilla Fairy Cakes we have made long, long time ago…
for the cupcakes
- 2 large or 3 smaller eggs
- ½ cup golden caster sugar
- ½ bar unsalted butter – 125 g (melted and cooled down)
- 1½ cup plain flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 2 tbs poppy seeds
for the topping
- 200 g bar of semi-sweet chocolate
- fondant icing for decorations: we used orange, green, red and blue (to make dark purple)
- 16 – 18 paper muffin cases
- muffin tray or regular baking tray
- mixer or whisk
- metal bowl to melt the chocolate over the pot of water
- Preheat oven to 180°C (356°F).
- Line the baking tray(s) with muffin cases.
- Whisk eggs and sugar until fluffy, slowly fold in flour, baking powder, poppy seeds and melted butter and mix well.
- Scoop out mixture into muffin cases (fill them half way only) and bake in the oven for about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven, leave aside to cool down.
- In meantime prepare decorations out of fondant icing.
- When muffins has cooled down cut off any excess on the top, they need to completely flat and leveled with the end of paper cases.
- In a small pot bring water to boil to melt chocolate in metal bowl resting over the pot.
- Top each cupcake with heaped teaspoon of chocolate, spread evenly.
- Before the chocolate is completely set top the cupcakes with decorations and leave aside to cool down.
- Store in airtight container in the fridge for day or two.
Makes 16 – 18 cupcakes.
Add a bit of milk or water if the cupcake dough is too sticky to share to the paper cases.
Poppy seed cupcakes can be easily stored overnight in air tight container in the fridge.
For more Halloween inspiration take a look at those Halloween ideas.
If you are looking for more Halloween cupcake & other sweet treat ideas here are some of my favourite recipes: Zombie Brain Chocolates from Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary, Two minute chocolate pumpkin mug cakes recipe from Maison Cupcake and Spiced Pumpkin Cupcakes from Circle of Pine Trees.