This is my girls’ one of the favourite dinners, simple meatballs made from scratch (based on my meatloaf recipe), simple tomato sauce and spaghetti pasta.
for the cheesy meatballs
- 400 g minced turkey
- 75 g cheese – I used mature Cheddar (grated)
- 4 – 5 thick slices of soft while toast bread
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- ½ tbs mustard
- 1½ tbs ketchup
- 3 tbs olive oil
- ½ tbs garlic powder
- ½ tbs marjoram
for the simple tomato sauce
- 2 x 400 g tins of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbs potato starch
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup of boiling water
- ½ cup of cold water
- soft brown sugar to taste
- sea salt to taste
- fresh basil leaves to garnish
- baking tray lined with baking paper
- potato masher
- mixing bowl with flat base or wide pot
- small pot to make the sauce
- In a mixing bowl combine cheese, salt, mustard, ketchup, olive oil, garlic, and marjoram, stir well.
- Add also turkey, eggs and bread, mix well with potato masher in a bowl or pot.
- Use table spoon to take portion of the mixture at the time, shape them into balls and place on baking tray. There should be enough mix for about 30 balls.
- Place in the oven preheated to 200°C (392°F), bake for about 30 – 40 minutes.
- In meantime empty chopped tomato tins into the small pot, add also boiling water and oregano, heat until the sauce is bubbling.
- Dissolve potato starch in cold water and gradually stir into the sauce as well, cook couple of minutes longer.
- Season to taste with salt and sugar.
- Serve the sauce over cooked spaghetti pasta, top with meatballs and sprinkle with freshly chopped basil leaves.
Makes 5 – 6 servings.