- 3 tbs plain flour
- 25g unsalted butter
- 2 cups of boiling water
- 1½ vegetable cubes (10g each)
- 350g button mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 spoons of butter or oil to fry mushrooms
- 1 tbs dried thyme
- 1 onion (diced) – can be omitted if leek used
- 3 tbs soured cream or crème fraiche
- black pepper
- 1 leek (chopped) – optional
- 2 carrots (cubed) – optional
- Fry mushrooms, thyme and onion (if used) on butter or oil until golden brown.
- Add also carrots and leek if used and fry some more until soft to your liking. Leave aside.
- In a saucepan heat flour and butter stirring constantly until bubbling.
- In meantime dissolve cubes in boiling water.
- Gradually stir in bullion into the saucepan, bring to boil.
- Stir in fried mushrooms and cook for couple of minutes more.
- Then season with freshly cracked pepper and soured cream.
Makes enough sauce for 4-6 servings.
- Taste good served over rice or pasta.
Looking for more mushroom sauce ideas?
You may want to try Michelle’s creamy mushroom & sherry sauce.