Knedle ze Śliwkami / Polish Potato Dumplings with PlumsPosted on: 4th Aug 2010
- 1kg large potatoes (cooked in skin)
- 2 eggs
- 5 cups of plain flour + some more for working surface
- 1 kg plums (I used red Satsuma plums but Damson / Damask plums would be the best)
- ½ tsp salt + some more for salting water
- 1 cup of soured cream
- sugar to taste
or / and
- ½ cup of breadcrumbs
- 125g /½ bar unsalted butter
- sugar and salt to taste
- two large wide pots
- potato masher
- small knife to remove stones from the plums
- slotted spoon
- Place whole potatoes in the skin in a large pot and cook until soft.
- In meantime cut each plum following the vertical line on their skin to remove stone but try to keep it in one piece. Leave aside.
- Once potatoes cooled down a little bit, peel the skin, place in a mixing bowl and mash together with eggs. Add ½ tsp of salt and gradually flower and knead on flowered surface until well mixed and firm.
- Put two large pots of water to boil adding some salt.
- Take a piece of potato dough in your hand, create a ball, flatten it, place plum in the middle and wrap it creating ball from the dough again, leave on flowered surface.
- Once all of the knedle are ready place them in pot of boiling water.
- Cook for about 15 minutes, remove from the pot with slotted spoon and serve immediately topped with sweetened soured cream or melted butter with breadcrumbs.
Makes about 20 large knedle (allow 2-3 per serving).
If plums are very sour add some sugar inside before wrapping them in potato dough.
Smaller dumplings (with Damask plums) can cook a little shorter than 15 minutes.
Leftover knedle can be easily re-fried next day on butter with breadcrumbs.
Knedle taste good as well topped with cream.
If you don’t have two large pots just cook half of the knedle at the time. It is better not to place one on the top of another while cooking.
Plums can be replaced with other fruits such as strawberries or apricots.
More plum recipe ideas:
Spiced plum semifreddo by Jeanne of Cook Sister
Many of Coffee & Vanilla's photos are now available to purchase through our RedBubble store. Please, come inside to take a look, favourite those you like the most or suggest new images to be added... Any feedback will be greatly appreciated (!)
Leave a Reply
This site support Gravatars (globally recognized avatar images visible next to your comments).