- 160 g vegetable shortening (I used Kasia)
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 cups of boiling water
- 2½ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup potato flour
- 2 pinches of salt
- 1 tbs of golden caster sugar
- 8 whole eggs
- 400g salt skinless and boneless fish fillets (soaked overnight, drained and flaked)
- 2 onions (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp chilli flakes – optional
- handful of coriander or parsley (finely chopped)
- 1½ l oil for frying (I used rapeseed oil)
- wooden spoon
- medium pot (to cook the dough)
- mixing bowl
- large / wide pot (for frying)
- hand mixer or potato masher
- paper kitchen towels
- Heat water in a medium pot together with vegetable shortening, until all melted.
- In meantime combine flours, baking powder and salt.
- Quickly stir flours into the pot with water, heat and mix with wooden spoon to create springy ball of dough.
- Remove from fire, transfer dough to the mixing bowl.
- Using hand mixer (or potato masher) combine dough with eggs adding them gradually.
- Continue mixing until the dough is very smooth.
- Add chopped onions, herbs, chilli and flaked fish, stir well. (Add a bit of milk or water if the dough is too thick.)
- In a large pot heat the oil.
- With a table spoon scoop portions of the dough and place in hot oil.
- Fry on both sides until golden brown.
- Drain on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Leave aside to cool down.
- Serve warm or cold.
Makes about 20 medium acras or many more small ones .
Serve with green salad on a side.