- 900 ml jar of sour cabbage (drained)
- 500 g ready chilled puff pastry
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 3 tbs olive oil or other oil for frying
- freshly cracked black peppercorns
- two trays lined with baking paper
- rolling pin
- frying pan
- very sharp knife
- Drain the cabbage, chop and fry together with onions and generous amount of freshly cracked pepper on a bit of oil until there is no more liquid and cabbage is starting to burn.
- In meantime on floured surface roll out puff pastry block until about 30 x 30 cm big.
- Top the pastry with all of the cabbage, spread it evenly from edge to edge.
- Roll the pastry and then slice with very sharp knife into about 1.5 cm wide pieces.
- Place created this way swirls on baking trays and into the oven preheated to 200°C (392°F).
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden.
- Enjoy while still warm or in a room temperature.
Makes about 18-20 swirls.
The pastries came out delicious, I would not change anything about them, just like those I ate once with my father in Poland but there was a “technical” problem… the pastries were fragile / easy to fall apart. Brushing with some egg white before baking would probably seal everything and solve this…