This is very easy yet extremely delicious cross between Rosół z Kury – Polish Chicken Soup and Dominican Chicken, Lentils & Dumplings Soup that we often prepare in our house, especially on gloomy winter days like today.
- 8 – 10 chicken legs, tights, big packet of wings or the whole chicken (quartered)
- 2 – 3 tbs olive oil
- 500 g of carrots (peeled and cut into coarse chunks)
- 500 g potatoes (peeled and cut into coarse chunks)
- 2 tbs of dried thyme or sprigs of fresh one
- couple of garlic cloves or garlic granules
- 6 Maggi cubes (or other stock cubes)
- about 4 l of boiling water
- 1 Caribbean chicken soup in a packet – optional
- coconut cream or some coconut milk powder – optional
- some chilli flakes – optional
- sea salt – to taste
- handful of spring onions or 1 large leek (chopped finely)
for the dumplings
- 3 cups of plain flour
- about 1½ cup of lukewarm water
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- pressure cooker pot or large 5.5 l stock pot
- bowl to mix ingredients for dumplings
- Place chicken on the bottom of the pot, add olive oil and heat for a while.
- Then add carrots, potatoes, garlic, thyme, Maggi cubes and about 2 l of boiling water.
- Close the pressure cooker and cook for 7 minutes. If you are using regular pot cook until both chicken and vegetables are cooked through and soft.
- In meantime prepare the dumplings combining flour, baking powder, salt and water. Knead until the dough is smooth. Roll into oblong shapes and put aside.
- Once the soup is cooked add the rest of the water (making sure to leave enough space for dumplings), coconut cream / milk and chicken soup from the packet, if using.
- Season to taste with salt and chilli flakes.
- Drop dumplings into the soup, one at a time to make sure they go to the bottom of the pot.
- Cook for couple of minutes longer until dumplings are cooked.
- Add chopped leek or spring onions and serve the soup to the bowls.
Makes about 8 – 10 servings of the soup.
The soup stores quite good in the fridge for next day lunch or even dinner.