Simple Tomato & Mushroom Pearl Barley StewPosted on: 17th Oct 2012
- 250g pearl barley
- 12 cups of boiling water
- 2 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 6 vegetable cubes (10g each)
- sea salt to taste
- crème fraîche or double cream to taste
- 500-700g button mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 large onion (diced)
- a bit of butter or oil to fry
- fresh basil leaves (chopped)
- Place barley with 8 cups of water in a large pot and cook on medium fire for about 45 minutes or until ready.
- Add tomatoes, cubes dissolved in remaining 4 cups of water and continue cooking for about 15 minutes longer.
- In meantime fry onions and mushrooms until browned.
- Remove pot from the fire, stir in mushrooms and onions.
- Season to taste with some cream.
- Share to the plates, sprinkle with basil and enjoy.
Serves 6-8 people as a part of meal or many more as a snack.
© ALL TEXT & IMAGES FROM THIS SITE ARE SUBJECT OF COPYRIGHTS. PLEASE, CONTACT ME TO DISCUSS TERMS & PRICING BEFORE REPOSTING ANY MATERIAL. UNAUTHORIZED USE OR REMOVAL OF OWNERSHIP INFORMATION FROM THE IMAGES IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Margot DOLEWSKA DYER is Brighton based blogger dedicated to crafts, recipes, reviews, food styling and photography. She is also behind 416 Studios specializing in web design & photo retouching. You can connect with her via Google+.
Leave a Reply
This site support Gravatars (globally recognized avatar images visible next to your comments).