Simple Tomato & Mushroom Pearl Barley StewPosted on: 17th Oct 2012
- 250g pearl barley
- 12 cups of boiling water
- 2 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 6 vegetable cubes (10g each)
- sea salt to taste
- crème fraîche or double cream to taste
- 500-700g button mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 large onion (diced)
- a bit of butter or oil to fry
- fresh basil leaves (chopped)
- Place barley with 8 cups of water in a large pot and cook on medium fire for about 45 minutes or until ready.
- Add tomatoes, cubes dissolved in remaining 4 cups of water and continue cooking for about 15 minutes longer.
- In meantime fry onions and mushrooms until browned.
- Remove pot from the fire, stir in mushrooms and onions.
- Season to taste with some cream.
- Share to the plates, sprinkle with basil and enjoy.
Serves 6-8 people as a part of meal or many more as a snack.
Leave a Reply
This site support Gravatars (globally recognized avatar images visible next to your comments).