Raffaello – Almond & Coconut Cream No Bake CakePosted on: 10th Nov 2012
[Inspired by Raffaello sweets from Ferrero Rocher.]
- 6 cups / 1½ litre of whole milk
- 125g / ½ bar of unsalted butter
- 2 cups caster sugar
- 5 packets of vanilla sugar (5g each)
- 4-6 whole eggs (4 large, 6 if small)
- 4-6 egg yolks
- 8 tbs plain flour
- 8 tbs potato flour
- about 50 petit beurre biscuits for the base (2 large packets)
- 170g desiccated coconut
- 1 cup of coconut milk powder
- 170g blanched almonds
- icing sugar – to decorate
- 1 large baking tray
- large piece of baking paper, to cover the bottom of the tray and the sides
- manual whisk
- large jug or bowl
- large pot to prepare cream
- Line the tray with baking paper and as many petit beurre biscuits as you can. I managed to fit 5 rows of 5, 25 all together on the bottom of the tray.
- To prepare the cream boil 4 cups of the milk with vanilla & caster sugars, coconut milk powder and butter.
- In a jug combine eggs, egg yolks, flour and left over 2 cups of milk whisking everything until well combined.
- Gradually fold in egg mixture into pot with milk, continue boiling and stirring with a whisk until cream is smooth and starting to get thick.
- Stir in also desiccated coconut (saving about two handfuls for the topping) and mix well.
- Spoon out the cream onto the biscuit base, top with almonds.
- Cover everything with another layer of 25 biscuits.
- Sprinkle the top with saved coconut and icing sugar.
- Place in the fridge for couple of hours or even overnight.
- Slice with a knife following the lines in between the biscuits.
- Serve with some unsweetened tea or coffee on a side.
Make about 25 small portions.
The cream for this cake is based on Napoleonka / Polish Custard Cream Pie.
In Poland different variations of this recipe are popular, some of them are using flaked almonds instead of the whole ones.
If you are looking for more coconut dessert ideas here is a couple of recipes:
South African coconut tart by Cook Sister
© ALL TEXT & IMAGES FROM THIS SITE ARE SUBJECT OF COPYRIGHTS. PLEASE, CONTACT ME TO DISCUSS TERMS & PRICING BEFORE REPOSTING ANY MATERIAL. UNAUTHORIZED USE OR REMOVAL OF OWNERSHIP INFORMATION FROM THE IMAGES IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Margot DOLEWSKA DYER is Brighton based blogger dedicated to crafts, recipes, reviews, food styling and photography. She is also behind 416 Studios specializing in web design & photo retouching. You can connect with her via Google+.
Leave a Reply
This site support Gravatars (globally recognized avatar images visible next to your comments).