- 2½ cups plain flour
- 1 tbs baking powder
- 3-4 eggs (I used 4 small ones)
- ½ cup of milk
- 1 cup golden caster sugar
- 2 tbs vanilla sugar
- 125g / ½ bar of unsalted butter
- zest from 1 large lemon
- juice of 1 large lemon (⅓ cup)
- ⅓ cup poppy seeds
- + 2 tsp of butter or some oil to grease the tins
- mixing bowl
- small non-stick saucepan
- two 11×22 cm (4.5 x 8.5 in) non-stick loaf tins
- wooden skewer
- Melt butter and leave it aside to cool down.
- In a bowl combine flour, baking powder, lemon zest, vanilla sugar, and caster sugar.
- Gradually add melted butter, milk and eggs.
- At the end fold in also lemon juice.
- Pour mixture into buttered tins and bake in the the oven preheated to 160°C (320°F) for about 40-45 minutes.
- Ready cake should have cracks on the top, be moist but not sticky inside, use skewer to check.
- Remove cakes from the tin and let them cool down completely before sharing.
Make about 16-20 slices.
Store in the fridge wrapped in aluminium foil or in air tight container.