[recipe originally by Ruth from Once Upon A Feast]
- 3 large leeks – about 500g (halved lengthwise, sliced)
- 2 tbs olive oil or 25g unsalted butter
- 500-600g chestnut mushrooms or white button mushrooms (sliced)
- 300g fresh spinach leaves (chopped)
- 300-400g new potatoes (coarsely cubed)
- 1500 ml hot water
- 4 vegetable cubes (10g each)
- sea salt
- black peppercorns
- 1 tbs dried thyme or even better some fresh / frozen thyme (stems removed)
- On he bottom of large pot sauté leeks on half of the oil or butter till soft.
- Then add the rest of the oil or butter, mushrooms and potatoes, sauté for another 5 minutes.
- In meantime dissolve cubes in hot water to create broth.
- Add the broth to the pot with leeks and mushrooms, cover and cook on medium fire for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from fire, add spinach and stir well.
- Mash some of the potatoes for the soup to look creamy, season with salt and freshly ground pepper and serve to the plates.
Serve 4-5 people.
Skip the potatoes, add a bit of crème fraîche to make the soup creamy and serve with freshly baked bread sticks as like to do sometimes.
I posted this article originally on 9th of March 2008, I’m reposting it now as I have updated images and recipe itself as well.
Similar soup recipes from other blogs:
Michelle garnished her leek & potato soup with chopped chive and served it with toasted baguette and Gruyère cheese.
I like that vegetable soups can be so simple and yet so good.
I’m so glad you liked the soup. It is one of my favorite fall back recipes. And I have to try mushroom , leek & pepper pizza – especially since I recently started making my own pizza dough! Thanks for sharing.
I just love any soup with potato as an ingredient:D
Margot, the soup sounds and looks delightful…I’ll definitely give it a try soon :-)
I love soups with spinach and mushrooms..Looks lovely Margot!!
Delicious soup, u can serve this for me anytime of the day
I just love soup at anytime and this is another great recipe I wish to try out! With homemade bread this is perfection for me :D
you know I love soups – what I like about this one is that it has almost all of my fave veggies in it. Lovely!
that looks delicious! i can’t wait to try that out!!!
I love any soup with spinach – and such a pretty color. Perfect green for St. Paddy’s Day!
I can’t believe I missed this soup, margot! It has all of my favorites in it. In fact, I was just telling my mom how wonderful leeks are in soup, so now I’ll have to tell her about this recipe.