[adapted from The Smurfin’ Guide to the Smurfs]
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 tbs baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup caster sugar + some more for topping
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of milk
- ¼ butter bar (57.5 g /about 75 ml melted) or vegetable oil
- 2 cups fresh “smurfberries” or some other berries + couple more for garnish (we used about 250 g of cranberries all together)
- blue food colouring
- large mixing bowl
- small mixing bowl
- mixing spoon
- 12 muffin / scone tray
- 12 paper muffin cases
- wooden skewer
- Preheat the oven to 210°C (410°F).
- If using melt the butter and leave aside to cool down.
- In a large mixing bowl combine dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, salt and sugar, mix well with the whisk.
- In a small mixing bowl using the whisk beat the egg, then stir in milk and butter or oil.
- Transfer content of smaller bowl to the bigger one mixing until well combined.
- Add enough food colouring to achieve nice smurfy blue colour.
- At the end add also smurfberries and give it a quick stir with a spoon.
- Share the dough into muffin tray lined with paper cases.
- Sprinkle with sugar, top with saved smurfberries and bake in the oven for about 15 minutes. Use the skewer to test if the muffins are fully baked.
- Let the muffins cool down before serving.
Makes 12 regular size muffins.
If the dough is too hard to stir add a little bit more milk.
If using smaller muffin cases shorten time of baking accordingly.
I don’t really like to use white sugar but in this case white caster sugar will give muffins more bright blue colour than golden caster sugar would.