- 1½ cups plain flour (250g)
- 1½ tsp / ½ tbs baking powder
- 1 bar (250g) unsalted butter (chopped and softened)
- 1¾ cup icing sugar (250g)
- 5-6 eggs (I used 6 small ones)
- 1 tbs vanilla extract
- zest of 2 lemons
- juice of 1 lemon
- some more icing sugar for topping
- cocoa powder and sugar decorations – optional
- + 2 tsp of butter to grease the tin
- 9” (22,8 cm) round non stick cake tin with removable bottom
- circle cut out from baking / parchment paper
- wooden skewer
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (356°F).
- Butter the tins with unsalted butter, place baking paper on the bottom of the tin and also butter it.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and leave aside.
- In a mixer bowl place butter and icing sugar and beat until smooth.
- Add egg yolks and vanilla extract and mix a bit more.
- Then stir in flour mixed with baking powder.
- Towards the end add lemon juice and mix until smooth.
- Stop the mixer, add egg whites and lemon zest, stir with a spoon until well combined.
- Pour the dough into buttered tin and bake for about 1 hour / 1 hour & 15 minutes. Check with the skewer if the middle of the cake is ready.
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle with icing sugar, we used also stencil and some cocoa powder plus ready sugar bears for decoration.
- Let the cake cool down completely before sharing.
Make 8-12 servings.
(We shared the cake into 8 large pieces so everyone would get a teddy bear.)
The cake taste even better next day, store it wrapped in aluminium foil or air tight container in the fridge.
I made this quick cake today for my husband’s birthday, girls insisted on topping it with the teddy bears…
Happy Birthday Michael!