Today I would like to share with you my latest needle felted creation – The Moomin… I know it should be white but I had my reasons for making him green. First of all I did not have any white or even grey wool for that matter, second I made it for my friend and her favourite colour is green or at least that is what I think basing it on the green scarf she often wears ;)
- felting wool tops (I used merino wool)
- brooch pin
- little piece of good quality felt sheet (for connecting the pin)
- simple felting needle with wooden handle or pen style felting needle
- needle felting pad or plain firm packing foam
- sewing needle
- awl or some thick needle – optional
- clear all purpose glue
- To make a moomin start shaping main parts, roll the wool into a shape and then stab it with the needle until it is all firm and springy.
- Then connect them by pricking with the needle around where they are joining, until secure.
- Finish off adding details and eyes, make holes with an awl and then glue them in for extra security.
- If you are making a brooch sew the pin onto the piece of felt fabric and then connect the whole thing to the moomin sewing it on.
Some of the brooches I made can be purchased (while stock lasts) through my newly opened Etsy store.
More DIY jewellery ideas.