- 2 x 270 g packages of chilled filo pastry (6 sheets each)
- 2 large onions (diced)
- oil or butter for frying
- 1½ kg potatoes
- ½ kg peas (I used frozen)
- ½ kg fresh carrots (cubed)
- 1 tbs ginger paste
- 1 tbs garlic paste or some garlic powder / about ½ tbs
- ½ tbs ground cumin seeds
- ½ tbs ground coriander seeds
- 1 tbs garam masala
- salt to taste
- some chilli powder or hot sauce to taste – optional
- small bunch of coriander (chopped)
- whole egg (lightly whisked)
- ½ cup of olive oil for brushing
- 3 baking tray lined with baking paper
- 2 silicone pastry brushes
- Boil potatoes and mash them, leave aside.
- In meantime fry on butter or oil onions, once they are browned stir in spices: garlic, ginger, garam masala, coriander seeds, cumin seeds and fry some more. Transfer to the pot with mashed potatoes.
- On the same frying pan stir fry peas only until defrosted and cooked through. Add them to the pot with potatoes as well.
- Do the same with carrots.
- Season potato mixture with salt, chilli if used and freshly chopped coriander.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (356°F).
- Take out one package of the filo pastry from the fridge, spread on the table and cut lenghtwise into 3 long strips, through all 6 layers.
- Place heaped tbs of potato filling on the corner of each strip and fold, stick the end with egg.
- Place on the baking tray, brush with olive oil.
- Do the same with the rest of the filling and filo pastry.
- Once all samosas are ready place them in the oven and bake for couple of minutes turning and brushing with olive oil again in meantime.
- Serve as a snack on their own or as a light meal with some chutney (ours was chilli & mango) and green salad on a side.
Makes 36 medium samosas.
Samosas taste even better next day reheated on frying pan with a bit of real butter.
If you can’t find ginger and garlic paste you can use fresh or powdered ones and a bit of lemon juice.
Chutney can be replaced with tomato or banana ketchup and kids will love it.
Leftover filling can be used next day to make some bubble & squeak.