Zapiekanka – Polish Street Food – Grilled Sandwich with MushroomsPosted on: 7th May 2010
- baguette (halved lenghtwise) – I used wholegrain one
- onion (chopped finely) – I used red onion
- chestnut mushrooms (sliced) or some dried wild mushrooms (powdered)
- not too mild cheese (sliced or grated) – I used mature Cheddar but in Poland I would probably use Morski
- freshly ground black pepper
- tomato sauce (ketchup) to serve or any other favourite sauce – I used sweet chilli sauce
- baking tray with rack
- paper napkins
- Preheat oven to 200°C (392°F), if you have grill option in your stove turn it on but you can do without it too.
- Butter baguettes, especially edges as they will burn easily if they are too dry.
- Top them first with onion, then cheese and mushrooms. Sprinkle with freshly ground pepper and place on the rack in the oven.
- Bake until cheese is melted and browned.
- Serve immediately wrapped in paper napkin and topped with you favourite sauce.
During my childhood in communist Poland zapiekanki were sold from the back windows of camping vans and they were prepared in small electric ovens. At the time it was the best (and the only) fast food sold in Poland… ok, except fries with fried liver and sour cabbage salad, that my father used to buy whenever my mom was ill and he had to cook dinner :)
More street food ideas from around the globe:
South African Durban bunny chow from Cook Sister.
Japanese chicken kebabs from Greedy Gourmet.
American hot dogs with Korean twist from Steamy Kitchen.
Middle Eastern falafels from Rosa’s Yummy Yums.
Caribbean chicken and pineapple kebabs I often make.
© ALL TEXT & IMAGES FROM THIS SITE ARE SUBJECT OF COPYRIGHTS. PLEASE, CONTACT ME TO DISCUSS TERMS & PRICING BEFORE REPOSTING ANY MATERIAL. UNAUTHORIZED USE OR REMOVAL OF OWNERSHIP INFORMATION FROM THE IMAGES IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Margot DOLEWSKA DYER is Brighton based blogger dedicated to crafts, recipes, reviews, food styling and photography. She is also behind 416 Studios specializing in web design & photo retouching. You can connect with her via Google+.
Leave a Reply
This site support Gravatars (globally recognized avatar images visible next to your comments).