Prawn and Mackerel Stuffed AvocadosPosted on: 16th Apr 2009
[adapted from recipe by Gosia & Marcin]
- 6 very ripe medium avocados (washed)
- ½ lemon juice
- 250g peeled prawns or shrimps (I used cooked small prawns, but raw would be better)
- 400g tin of mackerel in brine (tuna can be also used)
- few tbs of mayonnaise or cream cheese (I used cream cheese)
- handful of chopped chives or green part of spring onions plus some more for garnish – optional
- 1 tsp chilli flakes, some fresh chopped chilli or few dashes of hot sauce
- 1 tsp garlic granules or some fresh chopped garlic
- 2-3 tbs of unsalted butter
- sea salt to taste - optional
- mixing bowl
- non-stick frying pan
- Cut each avocado in half, discard seed and carefully scoop out inside into the bowl.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice and mix well.
- Avocado skins place on the plate until you are ready to refill them.
- Add also mackerel (drained, large bones removed) or tuna to the bowl, mayonnaise or cream cheese, chives and mix well.
- Season with salt if necessary.
- In meantime fry shrimps or prawns on butter with garlic and chilli.
- If you are using shrimps or small prawns just mix them with avocado-fish mixture and refill avocado skins. If you are using large prawns share them to the avocado skins and then refill them with avocado-fish mixture.
- Place in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
Serves 6-12 people (but rather 6, it is very hard to stop on 1 portion).
Save some of the shrimps/prawns and chives to use them for garnish.
Brown / haas avocados (second image) seem to have better/harder shells what makes them easier to empty and then refill with avocado-fish mixture.
More prawn recipe ideas:
A while back I made prawns with pepper and cucumber in sweet chilli marinade.
Michelle of Greedy Gourmet pan-fried prawns on butter with garlic and lemon.
© ALL TEXT & IMAGES FROM THIS SITE ARE SUBJECT OF COPYRIGHTS. PLEASE, CONTACT ME TO DISCUSS TERMS & PRICING BEFORE REPOSTING ANY MATERIAL. UNAUTHORIZED USE OR REMOVAL OF OWNERSHIP INFORMATION FROM THE IMAGES IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Margot DOLEWSKA DYER is Brighton based blogger dedicated to crafts, recipes, reviews, food styling and photography. She is also behind 416 Studios specializing in web design & photo retouching. You can connect with her via Google+.
Many of Coffee & Vanilla's photos are now available to purchase through 416 Studios' RedBubble store. Please, come inside to take a look...
Leave a Reply
This site support Gravatars (globally recognized avatar images visible next to your comments).