for sponge cake infused with lemon grass tea
- 1 cup egg whites and ½ cup yolks, about 6 small eggs
- 1 cup golden caster sugar
- 1 cup plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 1¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 tbs unsalted butter (softened)
- 2 bags of lemon grass tea
- 1 cup boiling water
for vanilla buttercream and lemon cheese layers
- 250 g bar unsalted butter (cubed)
- 2 tbs vanilla extract
- 3 tbs water or milk
- 2½ – 3 cups icing sugar
- 9 tbs lemon cheese / lemon curd or some sour jam
for icing and decoration
- 500 g white or other colour ready to roll icing to cover the cake or half portion more of vanilla
- 250 – 500 g colourful ready to roll icing for decoration
- 9” (22,8 cm) round non stick cake tin with removable bottom or even better 3 of them
- hand blender with whisk end or food processor to beat eggs
- food processor to make the buttercream
- cake stand or disposable cake base
- cutters and tools to make icing decorations
- silicone brush to brush decorations with water
- To prepare sponge cake beat in a food processor egg whites with salt until stiff, add sugar and beat some more.
- Stir in also yolks. In a small bowl combine baking powder and flour and gradually add it to the egg mixture only until well mixed.
- Pour it into buttered cake tin (if you are using 3 tins make sure that you put even amount of cake dough in each of them) and bake in preheated oven to 180°C (356°F) for about 25 – 30 minutes, until golden.
- Remove from the tin and let it cool down.
- In meantime prepare buttercream mixing butter, water, vanilla extract and icing sugar, in a food processor, until smooth.
- When sponge cake is cooled down completely, cut it into 3 layers if you used 1 tin, using very sharp knife.
- Prepare strong tea from cup of water and 2 tea bags, leave aside.
- Place first layer (upside down) on the cake stand or cake base, with a tea spoon soak it with ⅓ of the tea before spreading 3 tbs of lemon cheese on it, then half of the vanilla buttercream.
- Place another layer of sponge cake on the top of it, again soak it with ⅓ of the tea, spread another 3 tbs of lemon cheese and the rest of the vanilla buttercream.
- Cover with the last layer of sponge cake, soak with remaining tea, spread again 3 tbs of lemon cheese on it and cover with rolled our icing.
- Cut off excess with very sharp knife, decorate with more icing, to stick decorations to the cake just brush them with water and they will stick.
- You can also skip the icing, prepare half portion more of buttercream, divide it into 4, use ¼ on the top of each sponge cake layer, then remaining ¼ of the buttercream to cover the sides of the cake.
- At the end just decorate with icing decorations and store refrigerated.
Makes about 10 – 12 servings.
I made this cake for my step son’s 14th birthday on his wish, but if it was for me I would skip the icing, and replace it with more buttercream as I suggested in recipe.
I would also reduce sugar icing decorations to the minimum as cake is very sweet.
Kids really enjoyed it, especially the icing, but I had to remove it before I could eat the cake.
You can replace some of the tea with alcohol such as rum.