- 400-500 g mincemeat (I used minced turkey)
- 1 large onion (finely diced)
- couple of garlic cloves (crushed) or 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbs dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 3 tbs olive oil
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 400 g tin of chopped tomatoes
- half a tube of tomato purée (about 100 g)
- ½ cup boiling water
- 2 vegetable cubes
- 1 tsp of liquid smoke
- 1 tsp molasses sugar / soft dark brown sugar or to taste
- rainbow peppercorns
- handful of fresh basil leaves (chopped)
- grated cheese (preferably Parmigiano-Reggiano / Parmesan)
- 500 g dried spaghetti pasta
- some extra virgin olive oil to serve if using lean mince like turkey – optional
- On the bottom of large pot fry mince and onions with olive oil, add also garlic if using fresh.
- Once onions are starting to get brown add the rest of herbs: oregano, dried basil, chilli flakes and fry some more.
- In meantime dissolve cubes in boiling water to make stock.
- Reduce fire, add stock, chopped tomatoes and tomato purée to the pot, cook until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- In separate pot cook pasta in lots of water, drain and leave aside.
- Remove sauce from fire, add liquid smoke and stir well.
- Transfer pasta to the pot with sauce, add also optionally some extra virgin olive oil, mix everything together.
- Share spaghetti to the plates, top with fresh basil, cheese and freshly cracked pepper.
- Enjoy while still warm.
Makes 4-6 servings.