[recipe adapted from Aaple Mint]
If you are looking for impressive, easy to make and delicious adult dessert for the Valentine’s Day, you will love those boozy cupcakes!
for the dough
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1½ cups golden caster sugar
- 1 cup soft dark brown sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ cup sweet almond oil, or other neutral one that does not have strong taste or scent, like canola or Carotino oil,
- or even yellow olive oil not the extra virgin one
- 1 cup soured cream or double cream mixed with ½ lemon juice
- 1½ cups water
- 2 tbs white vinegar, I used rice vinegar
- 2 eggs
for topping and infusing
- Malibu, reserve port, Grand Marnier, espresso, Kahlua or even some strawberry sauce (for non-alcoholic version) – allow 2 tsp for each cupcake
- 600ml whipping cream
- 1 cup golden caster sugar
- 100g white marzipan and food colouring (I used red), ready sprinkles or even fresh fruits such as cherries or strawberries
- 2 muffin trays (for 12 muffins each)
- 48 paper muffin cases
- icing syringe
- tools and cutter for marzipan
- Preheat oven to 170°C (338°F).
- In meantime combine together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, salt and mix together with the whisk. Add also oil, eggs, water and soured cream, whisk until well blended.
- Add vinegar last.
- Pour batter into muffin cases up to the level of the tray, place them in the oven and bake for about 30 minutes.
- Let them cool down completely before topping with whipped cream and decorations.
- To prepare marzipan decorations combine white marzipan with colouring. Cool it down before cutting out shapes.
- When cupcakes are cooled down make a little hole on the top of each and pour inside liquor, coffee or sauce of your choice.
- In meantime prepare whipped cream in a food processor mixing whipping cream with sugar until stiff.
- Fill icing syringe with whipped cream and top cupcakes with it. At the end decorate with marzipan, sprinkles or fresh fruits.
- Place in the fridge, just before serving place each cupcake in extra muffin case, as they can be sticky from the liquor.
This recipe makes 24 cupcakes.
Happy Valentine’s! :)