- 3 tbs plain flour
- 25 g unsalted butter
- 400 ml of boiling water
- 1½ vegetable cubes (10 g each)
- ½ cup chopped chive or green part of spring onions
- 100 – 150 g mature Cheddar or other strong cheese (chopped)
- black peppercorns
- In a saucepan heat flour and butter stirring constantly until bubbling.
- In meantime dissolve cubes in boiling water.
- Gradually stir in bullion into the saucepan, bring to boil.
- Add cheese and continue cooking for about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Stir in chive, season to taste with freshly cracked pepper.
Makes enough sauce for 4 – 6 servings.
Taste good served over brown rice, pasta, asparagus or as a dip for French fries à la Taco Bell. I often serve it as well with Bell Peppers Stuffed with Turkey & Mushrooms and recently also with Toad in the Hole.
More sauces & dips.
More quick recipes.
More budget cooking.