- 800g frozen white fish (I used pollock fillets)
- 3 tbs unsalted butter or oil for frying
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 3-4 carrots (sliced)
- 500g potatoes (cubed)
- 3 vegetable cubes (10g each) dissolved in 1½ cup of boiling water
- 2 tbs Caribbean medium curry powder
- 2 tbs dried thyme
- 1 tbs garlic powder
- few pinches of Cayenne pepper
- ½ cup coconut milk powder
- red bell pepper or sweet pointed pepper (diced) - optional
- for garnish: couple of spring onions or handful of coriander (chopped) – optional
- to serve: 2 cups of dry basmati rice (cooked)
- large, wide pot with lid to cook the stew
- smaller pot with covered to cook rice
- On the bottom of the pot fry onions until golden brown.
- Add carrots and potatoes, fry a while longer.
- In meantime cook the rice and leave aside.
- To the pot with vegetables stir in all the ingredients: cubes with water, curry powder, thyme, garlic powder, Cayenne pepper and coconut milk.
- Reduce fire and cook covered until vegetables are ready and fish is falling apart.
- In the last moment add peppers, cook only for 1 minute longer.
- Serve the stew over cooked rice.
- Sprinkle with chopped spring onions or coriander.
Make 4-6 portions.
Have in mind that some fish fillets are quite salty so you may want to reduce amount of vegetable cubes to 2 instead of 3.