Krupnik – Polish Pearl Barley SoupPosted on: 24th Jun 2013
- 2 chicken’s bones or couple of package of chicken wings (optionally you can skip it for vegetarian version)
- 2 vegetable cubes (10 g each)
- 2 chicken cubes (10 g each) – replace with vegetable cubes for vegetarian version
- 3 l of boiling water
- 1 parsnip (halved lenghtwise)
- 1 large leek, can be frozen (halved lenghtwise)
- piece of celeriac root, about 50 g (cut in half)
- 250 g pear barley or optionally bulgur wheat
- 3 large potatoes, about 750 g (cubed)
- 3 carrots (diced)
- 5 – 6 bay leaves
- handful of fresh, chopped parsley
- 2 tbs dried marjoram
- 1 tbs garlic powder or some fresh one
- sea salt
- black peppercorns
- Place chicken wings or bones in large pot together with water, leek, parsnip, celeriac, bay leaves and cubes.
- Bring to boil, simmer covered for about 30 minutes or until chicken is ready.
- Remove chicken/bones and vegetables from the pot, leave aside.
- Strain the stock and return to the pot.
- Add garlic, half of the marjoram, barley, potatoes, carrots, parsley and cook on medium fire until barley and potatoes are ready.
- Add the rest of marjoram and cook few minutes longer.
- Season to taste with salt (if necessary) and freshly cracked pepper.
- Share to the plates, also the chicken if wings were used.
Makes 5 – 6 servings.
Cubes can be completely skipped and more salt used at the end.
Many of Coffee & Vanilla's photos are now available to purchase through our RedBubble store. Please, come inside to take a look, favourite those you like the most or suggest new images to be added... Any feedback will be greatly appreciated (!)
Leave a Reply
This site support Gravatars (globally recognized avatar images visible next to your comments).