Grochówka (Polish Navy Pea Soup)Posted on: 16th Nov 2008
- 1000 g yellow split peas (soaked overnight in plenty of water)
- 3 litres of water
- 2 carrots (chopped coarsely)
- 1 parsnip (chopped coarsely)
- 1 large leek (chopped coarsely)
- piece of celeriac (about 100g)
- 4 vegetable cubes (10g each)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp allspice / pimento pepper
- 2 tsp dried savory – optional
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- sea salt to taste
- 3 tbs dried marjoram
- 6 bay leaves
- 4 onions (chopped)
- 1 whole garlic (peeled, sliced) or 1 tbs garlic granules
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 200 g kabanosy – Polish thin sausages or other dry sausages (sliced) or chopped bacon - optional
- large pot with cover
- hand blender
- frying pan
- Place soaked overnight, washed and drained split peas in a large pot, add water and bring to boil.
- Cook removing any foam that is creating on the surface.
- Reduce fire, add vegetables: carrots, parsnip, leek, celeriac, cubes, spices: cumin, allspice, savory, black pepper, garlic if granules are used, only 2 tbs of marjoram, bay leaves and garlic granules.
- Cook covered for about 45 minutes.
- In meantime fry onions, sliced garlic and optionally kabanosy on butter, until onion is golden brown. Leave aside.
- When vegetables in the soup are soft, mix everything using hand blender.
- Stir in onions, 1 tbs of dried marjoram and cook 2 minutes more.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Serve to the plates with croutons or groszek ptysiowy (click for recipe here).
Makes 8-10 portions.
If the soup will get too thick, just reheat adding some more water.
© ALL TEXT & IMAGES FROM THIS SITE ARE SUBJECT OF COPYRIGHTS. PLEASE, CONTACT ME TO DISCUSS TERMS & PRICING BEFORE REPOSTING ANY MATERIAL. UNAUTHORIZED USE OR REMOVAL OF OWNERSHIP INFORMATION FROM THE IMAGES IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Margot DOLEWSKA DYER is Brighton based blogger dedicated to crafts, recipes, reviews, food styling and photography. She is also behind 416 Studios specializing in web design & photo retouching. You can connect with her via Google+.
Many of Coffee & Vanilla's photos are now available to purchase through 416 Studios' RedBubble store. Please, come inside to take a look...
Leave a Reply
This site support Gravatars (globally recognized avatar images visible next to your comments).