Grochówka (Polish Navy Pea Soup)Posted on: 16th Nov 2008
- 1000 g yellow split peas (soaked overnight in plenty of water)
- 3 litres of water
- 2 carrots (chopped coarsely)
- 1 parsnip (chopped coarsely)
- 1 large leek (chopped coarsely)
- piece of celeriac (about 100g)
- 4 vegetable cubes (10g each)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp allspice / pimento pepper
- 2 tsp dried savory – optional
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- sea salt to taste
- 3 tbs dried marjoram
- 6 bay leaves
- 4 onions (chopped)
- 1 whole garlic (peeled, sliced) or 1 tbs garlic granules
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 200 g kabanosy – Polish thin sausages or other dry sausages (sliced) or chopped bacon - optional
- large pot with cover
- hand blender
- frying pan
- Place soaked overnight, washed and drained split peas in a large pot, add water and bring to boil.
- Cook removing any foam that is creating on the surface.
- Reduce fire, add vegetables: carrots, parsnip, leek, celeriac, cubes, spices: cumin, allspice, savory, black pepper, garlic if granules are used, only 2 tbs of marjoram, bay leaves and garlic granules.
- Cook covered for about 45 minutes.
- In meantime fry onions, sliced garlic and optionally kabanosy on butter, until onion is golden brown. Leave aside.
- When vegetables in the soup are soft, mix everything using hand blender.
- Stir in onions, 1 tbs of dried marjoram and cook 2 minutes more.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Serve to the plates with croutons or groszek ptysiowy (click for recipe here).
Makes 8-10 portions.
If the soup will get too thick, just reheat adding some more water.
Many of Coffee & Vanilla's photos are now available to purchase through our RedBubble store. Please, come inside to take a look, favourite those you like the most or suggest new images to be added... Any feedback will be greatly appreciated (!)
Leave a Reply
This site support Gravatars (globally recognized avatar images visible next to your comments).