- 500g black eyed beans (soaked for about 5 hours)
- 500g potatoes (diced)
- 500g carrots (diced)
- 1 garlic head (peeled and coarsely chopped)
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 500g button mushrooms (chopped)
- 3 tbs butter
- large bunch of parsley (finely chopped)
- 2 sweet red pointed peppers (chopped)
- 2 cups of easy cook rice
- 400 ml tin of coconut milk
- 2½ cups boiling water
- fine sea salt to taste
- Cayenne pepper powder or some hot sauce
- large pot to soak, then cook beans, it will be also used to mix the salad later
- pot with cover to cook rice
- frying pan for mushrooms
- baking tray to roast carrots and potatoes
- Drizzle carrots and potatoes with olive oil and bake in the oven preheated to 200°C (392°F) until golden brown, leave aside.
- In meantime in fresh water cook previously soaked beans in uncovered pot, discarding any scum that is creating on the water’s surface.
- Mushrooms and garlic fry on butter with a little bit of salt until golden, leave aside.
- Rice cook on medium fire together with coconut milk and water in covered pot but keep constant eye on it, reducing fire when necessary.
- When beans are ready, drain them and add the rest of ingredients to the pot: roasted carrots and potatoes, fried mushrooms, cooked coconut rice, chopped peppers, parsley, season to taste with salt and Cayenne pepper or hot sauce.
- Enjoy while still warm.
Serves 6 people as a main dish or many more as a salad.