- 800-1000 g turkey mince
- 4 onions (diced)
- 4 tbs olive oil
- 3 x 400 g tins of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbs garlic powder or some fresh, diced garlic
- sea salt
- black peppercorns
- 2 x 142 g tins of tomato purée / about 6 tbs
- 2 cups sliced black olives
- 4-5 egg plants (sliced thinly)
- 200g grated cheese (I used mature Cheddar)
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup of whole milk
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg (less if very fresh)
- about 22-24 standard size individual ramekin dishes or 2 large Pyrex dishes (I used 10 ramekin dishes plus large baking dish)
- On the bottom of large pot fry onions on oil, until translucent.
- Stir in also meat and fry some more, reduce fire.
- Add chopped tomatoes, olives and garlic, cover and simmer until there is almost no more liquid.
- Season to taste with freshly ground pepper and salt.
- In meantime combine eggs, grated cheese, milk and nutmeg.
- Once the turkey mixture is ready share everything to the baking dishes making 3 layers of eggplant with 2 layers of turkey mixture in between.
- Top everything with egg/cheese mixture.
- Bake in the oven preheated to 200°C (392°F) for about 30 minutes, ramekin dishes a bit less.
- Serve either with couscous, rice or even piece of crunchy bread and some salad on a side.
Make 10-12 dinner size servings or 22-24 party / snack size serving.
To fill each ramekin dish I used 3 large slices of eggplant with 2 x 50 ml of turkey mixture in between and topped with 50 ml of cheese/egg mixture.