- 500 g wholemeal or plain spaghetti
for the puttanesca sauce
- 2 x 400 g tins of chopped tomato with herbs
- 4 x 120 g sardines in oil (with oil) or some anchovies
- ½ tbs garlic granules
- 2 – 3 small dried bird’s eye chilli peppers, some Cayenne pepper, chilli sauce or fresh chillis
- 3 tbs capers
- 170 g chopped black olives (4 handfuls)
- 2 tbs tomato paste / puree
- grated cheese – optional
- Boil pasta in salty water, drain and leave aside.
- Mix sardines with oil using fork or chop the anchovies.
- Transfer them to the frying pan, add rest of the ingredients for the sauce and cook till the sauce is hot.
- Season to taste with salt (if necessary).
- Serve pasta to the plates and pour the sauce over it.
- Sprinkle with some grated cheese.
Serves 4 people.
Skip hot peppers for children friendly version.