[recipe adapted from “Mainly Vegetables” by Colin Spencer]
- 2 medium or 3 smaller aubergines / egg plants (cut in halves, lenghtwise)
- 400g tomatoes (chopped)
- 3-4 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs dried oregano or basil
- 2 tbs tomato purée
- sea salt
- black peppercorns
- 100g cheese (sliced) – I used extra mature Cheddar
- oven proof dish or baking tray lined with Teflon sheet – I used large Pyrex dish
- sharp spoon or melon baller to scoop out aubergine flesh
- frying pan
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (392°F).
- Scoop out aubergine flesh using sharp spoon on melon baller, chop and place in the frying pan, together with tomatoes, garlic, oregano and 2 tbs of olive oil, fry until soft to your liking.
- Add tomato purée, season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper, mix well.
- In meantime brush aubergine skins inside with 1 tbs of olive oil and place in the oven for about 15 minutes.
- Then re-fill aubergines with tomato mixture, top with cheese and place back in the oven only until cheese has melted and browned.
- Serve as a side dish with some meat or as a snack / lunch with some salad on a side.
Serves 4-6 people as a side dish or 2-3 people as a snack.
Looking for more roasted eggplant recipes?
This this very easy roasted aubergine dip from Cook Sister.