- 300 g chestnut mushrooms
- 400 ml of boiling water
- 1 – 1½ tbs vegetable stock powder
- ½ cup of cold milk
- 3 tbs plain flour
- thyme or other herbs – optional
- a bit of butter or olive oil
- In a saucepan place mushrooms, optionally herbs and bit of butter or oil, heat until golden brown.
- In meantime dissolve vegetable stock powder in boiling water.
- Sprinkle flour over mushrooms and mix well.
- Gradually stir in bouillon into the saucepan, bring to boil and continue cooking for couple of minutes.
- To whiten the sauce add milk or cream if you don’t mind the calories.
- Enjoy served over pasta, rice or chicken.
Makes enough sauce for 4 – 6 servings.
More sauces and dips.
More recipes for autumn and winter.
More recipes calling for chestnut mushrooms: Chicken de Volaille in Chestnut Mushroom Sauce, Oyster & Chestnut Mushroom Pasta with Sage and Garlic or Warm Pasta Salad with Sundried Tomatoes, Chestnut Mushrooms & Brie Cheese.