This is very easy and delicious home-made pesto recipe that can be served with any pasta, tortellini or any other type of dumplings or even used as a bread spread.
- 2 medium aubergines / egg plants (coarsely chopped)
- 1 whole garlic head
- 2 tbs of olive oil for roasting plus some more later for blending
- ½ tbs lemon juice
- fine sea salt to taste
- 2 tbs grated Parmesan – optional
- 2 tbs pine nuts – optional
- hand blender
- roasting tin lined with non-stick Teflon sheet or baking paper
- Coat chopped aubergines in 2 tbs of olive oil and place on baking tray.
- Cut of top of the garlic head and remove as much of white shell as possible without breaking the garlic, place next to aubergines and bake in the oven preheated to 200°C (392°F) until soft and browned.
- Transfer aubergines to the bowl or other blending container, add lemon juice, some more olive oil and optionally Parmesan and pine nuts.
- With a fork pull out roasted garlic cloves and also add them to the bowl.
- Blend everything together until smooth, season to taste with salt.
- Serve over cooked pasta or tortellini and some roasted veggies.
Makes enough pesto for 4 – 5 servings of tortellini.
I served it with 600 g spinach & ricotta tortellini, some roasted red onions, roasted red peppers and freshly cracked pepper.
Parmesan and pine nuts are really optional, pesto taste great without them too.
If you are looking for more homemade pesto recipes, take a look at our Chunky Basil & Roasted Almond Pesto.