for the buns
- 2½ cups plain flour
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tbs dry active yeast
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp of salt
- 2 tbs of golden caster sugar
- seaweed, poppy seeds or toasted sesame seeds
- 3 tbs icing sugar
- 1 tbs hot water
- kitchen towel
- baking tray lined with non stick Telfon sheet or baking paper
- silicone brush
- Combine flour, salt and whisk until well mixed.
- In a cup of warm water dissolve 2 tbs of sugar, sprinkle with yeast and whisk, leave for about 10 minutes in a warm place until froth is created.
- Add now yeast mixture to flour and knead until well combined.
- Cover with kitchen towel and let it grow for 1 hour.
- Now divide dough into 4 even pieces, each piece divide into 3 portions. From first create head, from second belly, from third legs, hands, nose, ears and bunny chicks. Repeat the same with the rest of the dough.
- Bake in the oven preheated to 170°C (338°F) until golden brown.
- In meantime cut out from seaweed shapes for bunny eyes and mouths.
- When buns are already baked, in a small container combine icing sugar and hot water. Brush bunnies with this mixture, then stick eyes and mouths or simply sprinkle with seeds.
- Leave to cool down and dry out completely.
Makes 4 bunny buns or 8 – 10 regular buns.
You may replace sugar mixture with whisked egg, then place buns for couple of minutes more to the oven instead of leaving them to dry itself.