This is very similar to the jute baskets we have made but much easier and faster.
I have managed to crochet the whole bunch of those in about an hour for my daughter’s teachers to give away at the last day of term.
- 4 mm crochet hook
Please note that names of the stitches in UK & US vary, this is UK pattern, click through for crochet stitches conversion chart.
stitches used: chain (ch), double crochet (dc), slip stitch (ss)
- Start with 5 – 6 ch, close the chain with ss to create a circle.
ROUND 1 (FOUNDATION ROUND)
- Work about 12 dc into the middle of the circle.
- Close the round with ss.
- Move to the second round, start with 2 ch as first dc and then work 1 dc into each stitch of the previous round, working extra dc into every third stitch, close with ss.
- Again start with 2 ch as first dc and then work dc into each stitch of the previous row, do not add any more extra stitches.
- Once the basket is done, do not cut the thread but start working about 15 ch for the handle.
- Connect on the opposite site with the ss.
- Finish it off, cut the yarn and voilà, the basket is ready (!)