[adapted from recipe by my sister Jola]
This is very easy way of turning plain rice into fancy side dish, great for grilled meats and fish.
- 2 cups easy cook basmati rice or other easy cook rice of your choice
- 4 cups of water
- 4 tbs coconut milk powder or grated coconut – optional
- about 8 green cardamom pods (peeled and crushed)
- sea salt to taste
- 8 tbs almond flakes or chopped pistachios
- mortar and pestle to crush cardamoms
- Place rice, water, salt, crushed cardamoms and coconut milk powder in a pot and cook covered until all water is dissolved and rice is soft.
- Season to taste with salt.
- If you are using almond flakes toast them on frying pan until golden brown.
- Share the rice, sprinkle with almonds or pistachios.
Makes 4 servings.
Cardamom rice taste also good served with ready smoked mackerel.