- 1 large onion (chopped finely)
- 4 tbs Carotino or olive oil
- 500 g couscous
- hot water for couscous
- 1000 g potatoes (cubed)
- 450 -500 g smoked mackerel fillets (skin removed, flaked)
- black peppercorns or some Cayenne pepper
- sea salt
- 500 g flat beans (chopped coarsely and steamed)
- 400 – 500 g cherry tomatoes (halved) – optional
- bunch of chives (chopped) – optional
- bunch of flat leaf parsley (chopped) - optional
- 3 – 5 red/yellow bell peppers
- container with lid, plastic bag or bowl and a plate
- large non-stick pot
- baking tray lined with non-stick Teflon sheet
- Mix potatoes with 2 tbs of oil and some salt, place on baking tray and bake in the oven preheated to 180°C (356°F) until baked and golden brown.
- Burn peppers over gas until each side is black.
- Place in container, cover with lid, let them steam for about 10-15 minutes. Rub of with your hands some burned skin, but not all. De-seed, cube, leave aside.
- To steam beans just place them, with some water on the bottom, in a pot with cover and heat for couple of minutes, you may also use proper steamer.
- On the bottom of large pot fry onions, on 2 tbs of oil, until golden brown.
- Stir in couscous and heat stirring constantly, gradually add hot water.
- Remove from fire, add roasted peppers, steamed beans, flaked mackerel, potatoes, optionally tomatoes and parsley or chives, season to taste with salt and freshly cracked pepper or Cayenne pepper.
- Serve warm or cold.
Makes 6 large servings.
This is very versatile salad, beans can be replaced with other kind of beans or even carrots and peas.
If you are looking for more couscous & mackerel recipes then try this Tomato Couscous & Mackerel Salad I made while ago.