DIY Garden for Syrian HamsterPosted on: 19th Aug 2012
- cat’s litter tray or other large and not to shallow container
- gravel – for the drainage, as the container will have to holes on the bottom
- soil for edible plants – free from fertilizers, not the one for flowers that is packed with all kinds of growth chemicals
- wood shavings
- hamster safe plant’s seeds – grass and flowers (we used 2 packets of cat grass and less than a half packet of red clover seeds)
- some more seeds to add later once hamster will eat / dig out some of the plants
- large flat pebbles to create a path - optional
- some kind of bridge or little hut - optional
- Lay the bottom of the tray with gravel.
- Cover it with soil, we used the whole 5kg.
- Create path and select with the pebbles areas for flowers.
- Plant the seeds.
- Top the whole tray with a bit of wood shavings.
- Water daily and wait couple of days for the plants to start growing.
- Put the final touch to the garden adding some little bridge or wooden/straw hut (remove while watering).
We use our garden inside metal enclosure in which we let Toffy run for a while in the evenings. Then he is placed back in his cage and we fix the garden, plant some more seeds to replace eaten / destroyed areas.
Materials & accessories used:
Small Animal Rainbow Play Bridge (£7.42 – Amazon)
2 kg aquarium gravel (£3.50 – pet store)
pebbles (£0.99 – 99p Store)
cat grass (£1.50 – gardening store)
5 kg all purpose compost (about £1 – gardening store)
red clover seeds (£1.50 – gardening store)
cat litter tray (about £2, from Morrisons)
Water the garden in the evenings after hamster’s playtime, not before.
If the hamster eat a lot of grass during his garden adventures do not giving him any more greens / fresh fruit & veg on that day.
I will be updating this post with some more photos once the grass and the clovers are fully grown.
More hamster posts can be found here.
Many of Coffee & Vanilla's photos are now available to purchase through our RedBubble store. Please, come inside to take a look, favourite those you like the most or suggest new images to be added... Any feedback will be greatly appreciated (!)
Leave a Reply
This site support Gravatars (globally recognized avatar images visible next to your comments).