- 1 bar / 250 g / a little bit more than 2 sticks of unsalted butter (chopped)
- 3½ cups pain flour
- 3 tbs freshly chopped rosemary, thyme and sage (1 tbs each)
- 2 tsp fine sea salt
- 4 tbs water or milk
- 1 egg
- rolling pin
- large baking trays
- Teflon sheets or parchment paper
- cookie cutters – optional
- Combine flour, salt, herbs and butter and in a bowl and knead until well mixed, add in water or milk and egg and continue kneading until dough is smooth and not sticking to hands.
- Take a handful of dough at the time and roll with rolling pin until about 4 mm thick.
- Cut out cookies with cookie cutters or simply make small balls and flatten them.
- Place cookies on the baking tray lined with Teflon sheets or parchment paper and bake until golden in 190°C (374°F).
- Let them cool down completely before transferring them to the cookie jar or tin.
Make about 35 – 40 cookies (9.5 cm / 3.5 in wide).
Cookies can be stored in air tight container for 7 – 10 days.
Those cookies are delicious all year around, not only for Christmas and would make great picnic snack as well.
You can use in this recipe leftover Christmas turkey herbs.