If you are fan of chestnuts and cinnamon you will love this recipe for home roasted chestnuts in delicious cinnamon sugar butter, I promise. We definitely liked it much better than oven roasted chestnuts I made earlier.
- 400 g fresh chestnuts
- 3 tbs unsalted butter
- 2 tbs golden caster sugar + ½ tsp ground cinnamon or some home-made cinnamon sugar
- vanilla ice cream – to serve
- flat cast iron frying pan
- Make cross cuts on the chestnuts and then place them on a frying pan over high fire.
- Roast for couple of minutes, shaking frying pan from time to time to turn them over, until they will are browned and start cracking. Be careful, they may start popping.
- Let them cool down a bit before peeling them and then breaking into pieces.
- In meantime, melt the butter in a saucepan, add sugar and cinnamon and heat for a while longer constantly stirring.
- Turn off the fire, add chestnuts and mix well until all of the nuts are covered in cinnamon sugar butter.
- Serve over vanilla ice cream while still hot or simply enjoy on their own.
Makes enough topping for 1.8 l tub of ice cream and serves 8 – 10 people.
If you are looking for more chestnut recipes, check out Jerusalem Artichoke, Chestnut and Mushroom Soup by Laura, Chocolate Chestnut Fondant – A Decadent Christmas Dessert by Jeanne, Chocolate Chestnut Layer Cake and Butternut Squash and Chestnut Soup by Sarah, Chocolate Chestnut Truffle Cake by Kellie or Mushroom & Bacon Spaghetti with Chestnut Pesto by Michelle.