This is something I created couple of evenings ago while watching Cuffs (new BBC series that take place in Brighton).
At first I was going to make a reindeer to pull the mini sledges but then I turned it into ornament by adding the thread on it’s back, it will be safer on the tree away from little hands…
- pipe cleaners – for the skeleton
- felting wool tops in two colours
- amigurumi eyes or black beads
- thread / cord for hanging
- simple felting needle with wooden handle or pen style felting needle
- needle felting pad, plain firm packing foam / sponge
- awl or thick wool needle – to make holes while connect parts and to attach the eyes
- First make the skeleton out of pipe cleaners. You will need couple of them to make the whole thing, including the antlers.
- Then start wrapping skeleton into wool and felt. I cheated a bit and used green wool I don’t use often for the inside and then topped it with thin layer of brown.
- Add tail, optionally wrap also antlers into wool to hide the pipe clears. I used beige wool for this.
- Once the reindeer is ready make a hole in it’s back with the awl and then push in end of the loop (with the knot) for hanging. Felt a bit more to secure the thread.
Read more about needle felting here.
More crafty ideas.
Creative gift wrapping ideas for Christmas and other occasions.