This is our all time favorite cranberry sauce recipe… it works perfectly as a side to a Christmas meal but it’s also delicious with cheese and crackers.
- 2 kg cranberries (fresh o frozen)
- 1½ kg pears (or apples – peeled and cut into wedges)
- 1½ kg fine sugar (mom used white sugar, I would use golden caster sugar)
- small bottle of rectified spirit (95% of alcohol)
- sterilized jars and lids
- large pot
- Place cranberries in a large pot and cook over high fire until their juices will start running.
- Add sugar and from the time sauce is bubbling cook for about 20 minutes.
- Add pears and cook for another 20 minutes.
- Once still very hot pour into sterilized jars. To make sure that there is no air in the jar you may also pour over the top a little bit of rectified spirit, set it on fire and close the lid while the spirit is still burning (Polish way).
- Closed like this sauce can stay in the cup board for months and only require freezer after jar has been opened.
Makes about 8 jars of sauce.
This sauce is perfect for Christmas turkey, on cheese and crackers or toasted bread, to add while frying / cooking chicken breast or with pork (I didn’t try myself, but my husband did and kids enjoyed it).
More Polish recipes.
More Christmasy dishes.