- 600 g chicken breast (cubed)
- 3 carrots (cubed)
- 2 onions (diced)
- 3 tbs of olive oil or butter
- 1 cup green lentils (easy cook ones)
- 3 cups of boiling water
- 3 small Maggi cubes or 1 large vegetable cube
- 1 tbs Caribbean herb mix (thyme, basil, marjoram, savory and parsley)
- large red bell pepper (for decoration) – optional
- 150 g – 200 g mature Cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1.5 kg potatoes
- soured cream or cultured butter milk – to taste
- sea salt – to taste
- black peppercorns – to taste
- 2 pots with lids
- about 10 individual ramekin dishes or 1 large oven proof dish
- potato masher
- cookie cutter (I used heart shaped one) – optional
- In one of the pots place chicken, carrots, onions and butter or oil and fry for a while until onions are browned.
- Cut out shapes from the pepper and leave aside, the rest of the pepper chop and put in the pot.
- Add also lentils, boiling water, crushed cubes, herbs and simmer covered until lentils are soft. Remove from fire, season to taste with salt and freshly cracked pepper.
- In meantime in other pot boil potatoes in plenty of water, when ready drain and mash them. Season with soured cream and salt to taste.
- Share chicken & lentil mixture into ramekin dishes.
- Top with grated cheese then with mashed potatoes.
- Optionally decorate with red pepper cut outs.
- Place in the oven preheated to 200°C (392°F) for couple of minutes until potatoes are browned.
Makes 10 small portions perfect for snack / lunch.
If you are serving this as main dish allow 1 dish for a child, 2 for adult… my boys managed to gobble up 3 portions each ;)
Looking for more hotpot recipes? Michelle of Greedy Gourmet made lamb hotpot with leek.