[recipe originally by Jen from Milk & Cookies]
for the sponge cake
- ¼ cup plain flour
- ¼ cup corn flour /corn meal
- 2 large or 3 small eggs (separated)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of cream of tartar
- ⅓ cup golden caster sugar
for the ice cream
- 2 – 3 bananas (mashed)
- 12 – 15 fresh dates (pitted and chopped)
- 2 litres vanilla ice cream (softened)
- 3 tbs cocoa powder
dessert sauce, for instance rum sauce (to serve) – optional
- 9” (22,8 cm) round cake tin
- 10” (25,4 cm) cake board – optional
- baking paper
- Preheat oven to 180°C (356°F).
- In one bowl beat egg yolks, half of the sugar and vanilla until the mixture becomes thick and pale.
- In another bowl whisk egg whites and cream of tartar together until firm.
- Gradually add the remaining sugar and whisk until whites are stiff.
- Combine both mixtures, then fold in flours gradually.
- Transfer the batter into the tin lined with baking paper.
- Smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, let it stand in the tin until cold.
- Combine chopped dates and 1 litter of the ice cream.
- Half of the litter mix with mashed bananas.
- Another half of the litter leave as it is.
- Spoon half of the ice cream and date mixture onto the cooled sponge, then ice cream and banana mixture, then again ice cream and date mixture and at the end plain ice cream.
- Smooth the surface with spatula.
- Place in the freezer for 8 hours to firm up.
- After 8 or more hours peel off the baking paper, place cake on cake board or plate and dust with cocoa powder.
- Cut into slices and serve itself or with your favourite dessert sauce.
Makes about 12 – 14 servings.